RESUME – 1993/2022
Results-driven professional with over 25 years of experience in private and development sectors, with demonstrated leadership in complex settings and among multicultural teams in Asia, Africa and Europe with an extensive focus on developing and least developed countries.
A strategic and innovative thinker who can quickly understand essence, potential and significance of the situation, capable of designing, and interpreting complex monitoring, evaluation, quality assurance and risk management systems and see the long-term outcomes beyond the immediate outputs. Focused on results, major contributor when work deals with options, strategies and possibilities
An experienced, successful trainer, engaging communicator and inspiring public speaker.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills; Design, resource mobilization and sound implementation of complex development and humanitarian programmes, with over 20 M$, leading multicultural and multisectoral teams, in Uganda, Ethiopia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Syria. Led the sector (cluster) coordination in Whole of Syria (WoS), Sri Lanka, Myanmar and supported several coordination platforms in the South East Asia and Pacific regions.
• Evaluation and Evidence Based Decision Making. Led Humanitarian Action Review in Nigeria, South Sudan, Bangladesh. Coordinated extensive assessments in Myanmar, Afghanistan, Syria. Led research on published peer-reviewed papers on water supply strategy and water quality risk management. Implemented M&E systems in Uganda, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Syria. Author of referred papers on water quality assurance.
• Facilitation and Capacity Building; Author and lead facilitator of the official UNICEF-UNHCR WASH in Emergencies (WiE) 5 days residential training, and several others. Proved facilitator in dozens of events middle-high level, and multi-day training.
• Formulation the vision and strategies for the WASH Sector; Development of humanitarian and development strategy for multiple country programmes, including advocacy, intersectoral linkages, integrated WASH programming, protection, gender and disabilities.
August 2017 to present
July 2014 to 2017
Whole of Syria Coordinator UNICEF in Amman
October 2011 to June 2014
Independent Consultant based in Bangkok
September 2007 to September 2011
Regional Emergency WASH Advisor for UNICEF Duty station: Bangkok (Thailand) – Asia – Pacific Shared Service Centre
February 2005 to August 2007
Project Officer for UNICEF – Sri Lanka - Trincomalee and Galle
February 2003 to January 2005
Programme Manager for DACAAR (Danish Committee for Aid to Afghan Refugees) in Afghanistan.
January 2002 to December 2002
Water & Sanitation Project Coordinator in Afghanistan and Pakistan for the iNGO INTERSOS
May 2001 to October 2001
Project Manager – for the NGO INTERSOS in Kossovo.
June 2000 to October 2000
Technical advisor for the iNGO CISP in Borana, East Hararghe, and Afar Region in Ethiopia.
January to June 2000
Project Manager for the consultancy firm Geoalp, Italy.
February 1998 to December 1999
Project Manager for the iNGO ACAV in Arua, (West Nile) and Soroti, Katakwi and Kumi (Teso), Uganda.
March 1997 to February 1998
Rig Geologist in East Jabal El Hassouna Wellfield, Libya, (Great Man-Made River Project) with Il Nuovo Castoro (INC).
September 1995 to December 1996
Mud Logging Engineer with Geoservices Int.(F) Experience in Offshore oil rigs in Angola, Tunisia, and North Sea .
November 1993 to August 1995
Intern in the consultancy firm GeoExpert s.r.l. Italy.
WORKING LEVEL LANGUAGES
Italian Mother Tongue English Fluent Spanish Intermediate
June 2019 Monitoring and Evaluation of Humanitarian Programs ( Harvard Humanitarian Academy, Cambridge, MA)
January 1994 qualification to the Profession of Geologist (Chartered Geologist)
July 1993 MSc Degree in Geology from Padova University, Italy
MAIN CONSULTING ASSIGNMENTS
UNDP Yemen - "Integrated Water Resources Strategy for Yemen" ·
UNICEF NYHQ – WASH in Emergency training Package
·Global WASH Cluster (GVA): “Strategic Operational Framework” (SOF) guidelines for Country level training
·Magenta FZC: Technical expert in “Formative Research on Behavioral Determinants of Access to and Quality of Urban Services Among Communities, Service Providers / Duty Bearers in Pakistan
UNICEF NYHQ : Review of the “WASH in Emergency” training 2014-2019. Analysis of training reports and KI interviews, reccomandations for way forward.
WASH Cluster- WoS Turkey hub: Water Safety Planning training in Hatay (Turkey)
UNICEF NYHQ : Facilitated UNICEF - UNHCR staff training (5 days residential) in Djibouti and Addis Ababa ( Ethiopia)
· UNICEF NYHQ Leading Humanitarian Action Review. Completed North Nigeria, South Sudan, Bangladesh. as joint initiative of headquarters of UNICEF (NY) and global cluster (GVA)
· UNICEF NYHQ Designed Water Quality Risk Management training
· HI (Humanity and Inclusion) Development of the IASC Guidelines on Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Humanitarian Action
· Mercy Corps - Whole of Syria office - response strategy, implementation arrangement and budget for OFDA APS: Syria Humanitarian Assistance Consortium.
· UNICEF and UNHCR HQ – preparation of global “WASH in Emergency” training package
·World Bank: Technical advisor in urban water supply, and rural water supply projects, Kyrgyzstan
· UNICEF: Water Safety Plans for rural communities, DRC Congo
· CARE International - Medium term Emergency development strategy
· TRAINING: EPR Myanmar- Information Management -Myanmar for Global Cluster Well completion, development and testing for World Bank – Kyrgyzstan– WASH in Emergency for CARE Australia – Bangkok (AP region)